Thursday, November 13, 2008

I love Homemade Pizza




Actually, I just love pizza in general. But I really enjoy homemade pizza because it is fun when you can make the pizza yourself. Now, I have in no way perfected my pizza making skills, but I did want to share a recipe that has become a common meal at the Sudan apartment. I also like to take pictures of food...so that is why I have a photo of the pizza. Strange? Perhaps, but thats ok. Here is the recipe for the dough (because once you make the dough, duh, you can put whatever you want on it silly.)

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough

INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 TBS. of Olive oil (or however much it takes to make the dough "work")

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey, olive oil, and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes(10-30 minutes...depends how much time you have).
Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
Put desired toppings on the dough and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or til it is done.

*Sometimes when I make the dough, it gets crumbly for some unknown reason, but if you put more olive oil in it that usually helps. If anyone can fix this crumbly problem, let me know.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Kyle, Mel, and Samuel, and Noah said...

Yummy! Maybe you should do the cooking next week! I love the blog!

Christy said...

looks good! i guess i need to try that too! i made the cranberry bread and it was SO good but the middle did not cook all the way - i need tips on how to get the middle done!